To most, it may seem that men have it easier than women when it comes to planning an outfit for that all important first date, and there is some truth in that. However, it is still possible for men to slip up and make the wrong first impression. Therefore, simply throwing something together at the very last minute before you head out the door without a second thought could be a big mistake and stop you from having that real wow factor.
So what’s a guy to do? Fear not, having previously been a professional celebrity male groomer for over a decade, , I’m here to share some of my top tips on how to really wow that lucky lady on the all-important first date.
- Always wear a VGJ (Very Good Jacket). It can change everything, and it will be the first thing your date notices as you walk through the door. Anything from a great leather jacket, to a double-breasted coat. If you aren’t a fashion forward guy, you can’t go wrong with a decent denim or bomber jacket. But if you are more savvy in the styling department, find yourself a well fitted coat like this one from Zara Men’s and you’ll upgrade your outfit instantly.
- Accesorise with caution – wear a nice watch! Less is more in this department, but keeping it simple with a couple of understated simplistic rings, or a nice watch, and your outfit will really come together. The watch doesn’t have to be flash. Go with what suits your style.
- Keep it smart casual – Keep your colours neutral or monochrome. Ultimately you want your outfit to be reasonably safe, no garish or bilious motifs or logos. I’m a huge advocate for a crisp white shirt, teamed with well-fitted chinos or jeans and of course a great pair of shoes! This Reiss shirt is the perfect example for your go-to white shirt. For something extra, add a sweater, or a bomber jacket, adjusting the colour palette accordingly. Light tones for day dates and dark shades for night dates.
- No matter how casual the date, pay attention to your shoes – Doesn’t matter whether you are wearing your best new white converse for your trip round Hyde Park or your best new loafers for dinner at Nobu, you can bet she will look to see what you are wearing on your feet. Shoes say a lot about you as a person and are a window into your personality and style. Ensure your footwear is clean, functional and stylish.
- Book in a trip to the barbers – Either a week or a few days before the all-important date. Now is not the time to experiment with the latest on-trend trim. Stick to what you know suits and compliments your face shape.
- A little spritz of cologne goes a long way – do not go over kill! Smelling good is just as important as dressing right but we’re aiming for a subtle impact here, not to overpower the room. A spritz of your favourite scent inside your shirt and on your neck is more than enough.
- Quarter zip & jeans – Quarter zip sweaters are excellent for layering and always look nice. Combine a quarter zip with jeans and Chelsea boots, and you’ve got a fantastic outfit that you can wear nearly year-round.
At the end of the day, the same rules apply as any other day when it comes to getting dressed for a first date; where you’re going and what the weather is like should determine what you wear. Whilst your outfit will change based on the location and weather, having a few core pieces will make picking out a killer first-date outfit much easier.