First dates can be nerve-wracking but planning your outfit for the occasion does not have to be. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to boost your confidence before the big day. One of the best ways to prepare is to plan an outfit that combines both contemporary fashion with your own sense of style.
From my years of working as a celebrity makeup artist and spending hours on photoshoots and private members bars across the globe, what to wear on every occasion is something that is second nature to me.
Below are my tips on the best outfits to wear to boost your confidence on those ever important first dates:
- The after work special. If you have a date planned during the workweek and you know you will not have time to change in between, fear not! There are plenty of ways to upgrade your outfit, so you are ready for that swanky bar in the city. Take it from power dressing to smoldering by removing the court heel and replacing with a strappy heel or patent heel (Zara and Reiss are your classic go to here for this look). Add some sparkle by accessorising with a gorgeous clutch bag and pair of earrings. Switch the jumper for a classic blazer, revamp your makeup and you are ready to date the night away! These subtle changes make all the difference, not only to how you feel but the impression you make on your date.
- The classic formula = Jeans and a nice top! –It is important to feel like yourself and be comfortable on a first date, so if your go-to staple is jeans, pair it with a pretty blouse or lace camisole that add a pop of colour. Team the outfit up with a classic black or white blazer like this one from Zara.
- The little black dress – The absolute ultimate classic. You cannot go wrong with an LBD. You are sure to steal the spotlight and your date’s attention when you turn up in the LBD made for you. Keep accessories simple here, let the dress do the talking. The LBD is a look to keep simple, sophisticated, and sleek. Heels, bag, hair, and makeup should all be perfectly simple and beautiful. Maybe even add a red lip and clean eye makeup to really polish the look. Check out the selection at Coast there is plenty of variety for every style that suits!
- The sexy blazer dress– Balance out any flash of skin with a structured cut. It is super-hot, but polished at the same time. It takes it from power dressing to a power dress. Something like this one from SANDRO at Selfridges, teamed with an elegant black heel – you will be the showstopper of the night.
- The pretty midi-dress – The iconic silhouette of a midi dress hugs and accentuates in all the right places – and trust me, the guy will take notice. Style it by layering a few necklaces and a more strappy heel and voila, you are good to go! Ted Baker have a fantastic selection to choose from when it comes to midi-dresses.
- The all-important heels – swap the flats for heels. My ultimate tip is to always finish the outfit with a heel, you will be surprised how even just a kitten heel (for those of you afraid of the stiletto) will completely change the way you stand, walk, and hold yourself.
Once you have put together your perfect outfit, remember to wear it with a smile. Be confident, be comfortable and be ready to have some fun!